People online and on twitter have asked this question, is reading necessary for writing? No, but why would you want to write? Why would you want to write if you don’t read? Will you read your own book? Honestly, comprehension of this escapes me.
I may not understand because of my reading habits. For example, this week I read:
- Trolley Problem by Philippa Foot.
- Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky (only the first chapter)
- Brothers Karamazov by the same author, (not finished yet)
- The Catholic Church’s response to Philippa Foot (can’t find the source)
- On the Genealogy of Morality by Friedrich Nietzsche (200 ish page book with 3 essays)
- 50 other webpages and 100 pages of my work for editing.
It was a slow week; we have company staying with us in addition to family and work responsibilities. Typically, I will read at minimum 400 pages of dense text, on a good week that number will be tripled.
I tried to find some authors who write fiction that don’t read and failed. If you are one of them, please leave a comment. We would all like to hear from you.